History of Dianabol
Dianabol (Methandrostenolone) is an oral anabolic steroid mostly used by athletes and bodybuilders who are looking to build as much muscle as possible in a short timeframe. In 1955 Dr. John Ziegler first came up with the idea of Dianabol after witnessing the Soviet athletes dominate the Olympics and discovering that they were administering testosterone to enhance their performance. This led Dr. Ziegler to creating Methandrostenolone, a fast-acting oral anabolic steroid that was effective at improving the performance of athletes. Not long after the creation of Methandrostenolone, Ciba pharmaceuticals started producing it for medical purposes under the trade name Dianabol.
It wasn’t long before this steroid was being used by athletes in almost all types of competitive sports. This led to athletes being bigger, stronger, and faster. The effect Dianabol had on performance was so significant that athletes who were not using it stood almost no chance of winning when competing against athletes who were using this steroid. Dianabol quickly became the most popular steroid in the world and remains so to this day.
In 1983 due to pressure from the FDA, Ciba discontinued the manufacturing of Dianabol, and within a few years, all pharmaceutical brands of Methandrostenolone were no longer being sold legally in the United States. Although there are pharmaceutical companies still legally producing Methandrostenolone in certain parts of the world, only illegally imported and Methandrostenolone produced by underground labs is available in the United States.
Properties of Dianabol
Methandrostenolone is derived from the primary male hormone testosterone; it possesses a half-life of 4.5 – 6 hours and is moderately estrogenic. Structurally, it is very similar to testosterone, with the only differences being an added double bond at the carbon one and two positions, and an added methyl group at the 17th carbon. The addition of a methyl group at the 17th carbon classifies this anabolic steroid as a C17-alpha alkylated steroid, and without this addition it would not survive its first pass through the liver, effectively making the steroid useless.
Top 5 Benefits of Dianabol
1. Increased protein synthesis – Protein synthesis is a process where cells in the body make new proteins. By increasing protein synthesis, you can build muscle faster and decrease the breakdown of muscle tissue.
2. Greater nitrogen retention – This means your body can hold onto more nitrogen. By having a positive nitrogen balance, you can recover faster from workouts and build muscle more quickly.
3. Increased strength – The rate at which Dianabol helps users increase their strength by is incredible. It’s not uncommon for users to see their bench press go up by 20 to 40 kg’s within the first 2 to 3 weeks.
4. Faster muscle growth – Almost nothing packs on muscle faster than Dianabol can. Many first time users gain between 1 and 2 kg’s a week in the first 4 to 5 weeks of their cycle. A study done in 1981 concluded that men taking Methandrostenolone had far more significant gains in muscle mass than those who were receiving placebo (1).
5. Fast acting – Due to the short half-life that Dianabol possesses users will usually start seeing results within the first week with very noticeable results beginning in week 2.
How is Dianabol Used?
Unlike most injectable steroids, the half-life of Dianabol is short, which allows it to start working and delivering results quickly. There are many different ways in which Dianabol can be taken. Some users take it before a workout to provide a ‘boost,’ some only take it on workout days, and some take it every day. Due to its short half-life, it makes sense to use Dianabol every day instead of only on workout days. Taking it every day as well as splitting up the dosage throughout the day helps keep blood concentration levels more stable.
Side-effects Related to Dianabol
In terms of side-effects, Dianabol can be quite harsh, with most users suffering from at least some of the side-effects listed below.
Some Common Side-effects Are:
- Water retention
- Decreased testosterone production
- High blood pressure
- Hair loss (male pattern baldness)
- Testicular atrophy
- Liver damage
- Accelerated hair growth
- Aggression (commonly known as “roid rage”)
Many of these side effects can be reduced or stopped entirely by using certain medications. For example – Water retention, high blood pressure, and gynecomastia are all estrogen related side effects, and by using an anti-estrogen, you can completely stop or at least reduce the risk of these side-effects.
Liver damage associated with Dianabol usage is due to it being a C17-alpha alkylated steroid. This modification causes Dianabol to put a lot of strain on the liver and is why you should never take Dianabol for longer than six weeks at a time or use dosages above 50mg a day. To help protect your liver during a cycle, use a good liver protectant supplement, avoid alcohol, and drink plenty of water.
How to Buy Dianabol
Considering that Dianabol is illegal in most parts of the world, you cannot just walk into a pharmacy and purchase it. It can only be bought on the black market; this can either be done online or in-person from a steroid dealer. Most people choose to buy Dianabol online, mainly for privacy reasons.
In South Africa, there are two types of Dianabol available: Pharmaceutical grade and underground lab grade. While pharmaceutical grade may sound like the obvious choice, it is not easy to obtain and if you manage to find a dealer who stocks pharma grade Dianabol then expect to pay an arm and a leg for it. On the other hand, underground lab grade Dianabol is readily available and is often very cheap when compared to other anabolic steroids. For a bottle of 50 x 10mg tablets, you can expect to pay around R300 in South Africa. This price will vary depending on the dealer, brand, and quantity.